Friday, July 23, 2010

Our Current Plan

Our pediatrician (Dr. Y) is out of town this week. Because Addy is already getting close to the age where she will be too old for the endoscopic surgery, we really need to get the ball rolling if that is going to happen. Hence, I have been researching this matter and calling all over the place for information for myself. I guess I'm too impatient to wait for my doctor to do all that for me.

I have contacted the facilities in which endoscopic surgery is available in NY, FL, and MO. I am unsure whether any of these (or others) would accept Addy's case even if we decided we would like to go the endoscopic route. As one of the doctor's assistants told me, the endoscopic procedure "looks great on paper," but it isn't really that simple.

I today spoke with another doctor's assistant at Duke hospital, which is not far from where we live. I explained our situation and told her that we are essentially trying to weigh pros and cons at this point, but we are not exactly sure if we know what all the pros and cons are.

Although Duke does not offer endoscopic correction of Addy's condition, they are a good facility for performing the open procedure. We will likely go to them if we decide to go that route. The woman I spoke with today advised me to speak with one of the surgeons who actually does these surgeries at Duke. He will hopefully be able to confirm Addy's diagnosis and tell us whether she definitely does need surgery. He should also be able to give us some more of the pros and cons that we may not know about, in order to determine what would be the best method of surgery in Addy's case.

Our appointment is set for Thursday, the 29th. Please pray that we would be able to get our questions answered, and that God would give us the wisdom to know which method of surgery would be best for our little girl.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers as we begin this journey.

No comments: